Custom Knee Bracing and Foot Orthotics
Our knee braces are custom made for you and we are able to provide bracing for all types of knee, shoulder and other joint problems such as the elbow or wrist. There are two main types of knee braces. Unloading knee braces reduce osteoarthritis pain, provide long term pain relief, postpone or eliminate the need for surgery, and reduces the need for medications. Ligament knee braces provide the ultimate combination of stabilization and protection of the knee joint. They are indicated for all ligament tears and instabilities.
Your feet are a complex system of 52 bones, 66 joints, 214 ligaments, and 38 muscles and tendons. It is no wonder that 75% of North Americans will experience significant foot problems at some point in their lives. Poor foot biomechanics may lead to foot, ankle, knee, hip, and back pain and reduced athletic performance. Orthotics are custom made orthopedic devices designed to correct these biomechanical foot disorders and prevent injuries. Because your feet support the weight of your entire body, a subtle change in the way you walk, will cause multiple compensatory changes in your posture and gait mechanics. This puts extra stress on the muscles, nerves and skeletal systems and lead to more serious problems.
At Progressive Sports Medicine, Elite Physiotherapy Clinic and Total Health Link, high quality Custom made foot orthotics are combined with specific manual foot adjustments using a toggle board. Foot adjustments ensure that the foot mechanics are optimized prior to casting the feet for orthotics. This produces higher quality orthotics, a much easier break in period and significantly reduces the need for orthotic modifications. The combination of foot adjustments and orthotic therapy ensures that you recover sooner and reach your full potential faster than with orthotic therapy alone even if your condition is chronic and of a difficult nature. Custom foot orthotics and orthopedic shoes are covered by most extended health care plans.
Do I need orthotics?
- My feet are sore on a regular basis
- My job requires me to stand or walk on hard surfaces all day
- I play sports
- Standing, walking or running gives me joint pain
- I have visible foot problems like bunions, hammer toes, or fallen arches
- I am over 40 years old
- One of my legs is shorter than the other
- I wear my shoes out quickly and unevenly
- My feet point outwards when I walk
- There is history of foot related symptoms in my family
If you answered yes to any of the statements above, ask us how orthotics can help you feel better from the ground up. We can evaluate the way you walk (gait analysis) and determine if you are in need of custom foot orthotics. The custom foot orthotics will help you re-balance your feet, and reduce pain and discomfort by enhancing your body’s natural movement.
Orthotics can be prescribed to:
- Provide customized support
- Accommodate most foot deformities
- Relieve pressure on certain parts of the foot
- Treat knee, hip or low back pain
- Improve foot pain from heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, Morton’s neuroma, bunions, and dropped metatarsal bones
- Improve the function of the muscles, tendons and bones of the feet and lower legs to ensure they function at their highest potential
Custom foot orthotics are custom molded to the support requirements of your feet. Orthotics look like insoles, but are precision custom made devices designed to correct your specific foot imbalance or condition.
Some examples of the benefits of orthotics are:
- Decreases pain
- Increases stability
- Prevents the foot from developing additional problems
- Improves the quality of life
- Increases endurance, strength and performance in sports
- Relieves fatigue and discomfort
- Promotes efficient muscle function to enhance performance
Custom braces are light-weight, comfortable, easily adjustable and can be worn during most sporting activities. Custom knee, wrist, elbow, and shoulder braces are covered under most extended health care plans. For more information, Contact Us Today at Burlington, ON Center.