Whole Body Cryotherapy
Whole Body Cryotherapy (WBC) uses Nitrogen gas to create intense cold which instantly reduces or eliminates pain and inflammation, while increasing athletic performance and recovery. WBC stimulates the nervous system through the rapid cooling of the skin receptors which causes dramatic peripheral vasoconstriction, inducing adaptive changes that produce a dramatic reduction in pain and inflammation and increased recovery and healing rates.
History of Whole Body Cryotherapy
The word Cryotherapy comes from the Greek words “Kryos” which means Icy Cold and “Therapeia” meaning Cure. The modern practice of Whole Body Cryotherapy (WBC) was developed in 1978 by Dr. Toshiro Yamauchi who treated patients for pain and inflammation associated with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) in Japan. He concluded that rapid short-term freezing of the skin’s surface led to immediate release of endorphins and is more effective than gradual cooling in an ice bath. Further research conducted over the last two decades in Europe has established WBC as a powerful treatment for inflammatory disorders, chronic pain, acute injuries, weight loss, and to improve healing rates. Whole Body Cryotherapy is also used to improve athletic performance and recovery times from workouts and surgery, to reclaim youth and treat a variety of chronic physical conditions including Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Tendonitis, Fibromyalgia, Multiple Sclerosis, Psoriasis, Autoimmune Disorders, Anxiety and Depression and Cellulite.
Whole Body Cryotherapy stimulates the body’s natural healing abilities. Whole Body Cryotherapy treatments are administered individually via a CryoSauna. The CryoSauna uses gasiform nitrogen to rapidly lower the skin’s top layer to 0°C while cabin temperature drops to a range of (minus) -110°C to -140°C. During the two to three minutes of extreme cold, the brain stimulates the body’s organ regulatory functions resulting in pain relief, reduced inflammation, energy increase, cell rejuvenation, immune system boost, weight loss, detoxification, and overall system self-healing.
Athletes realize increased endurance with faster recovery and healing rates and are able to work out more intensely with little to no post workout pain. This enables an athlete to work out more intensely and more frequently thereby maximizing their potential.
Inflammatory conditions such as Rheumatoid and Osteo Arthritis, chronic musculoskeletal pain, and skin conditions including cellulite and psoriasis are significantly alleviated or eliminated through this process. In addition to the improvement in cellulite and the skin’s appearance, each session burns between 500-800 calories within 24 hours and a further 200 to 300 calories per day for approximately 5 days. This effect is responsible for rapid weight loss noticed by many clients.
What can I expect?
Our trained staff will meet with you to discuss your goals in order to ensure that you are completely comfortable and answer any questions that you may have. The Cryotherapy treatment will be explained to you before beginning your session.
Clients complete and sign the waiver and then enter the Cryosauna room. All persons need to wear DRY socks. We have socks if you forget. Men need to wear cotton briefs or boxers. Women can wear cotton underwear but it is not necessary. Any jewelry will also need to be removed.
Clients remove their outer clothes, put on a robe and dry socks and once they are ready, a staff member will enter the room and begin your session. Your privacy is very important to us and only your head is visible throughout the entire process. Before you know it, you will be feeling the invigorating and healing effects of the Cryotherapy and the entire 3-minute session will be completed.
After the session ends, the Cryosauna will automatically lower the adjustable height platform to floor-step level and you can then exit the chamber. You will feel aches and pains dissolve as your body quickly returns to normal temperature. Our staff member will leave the room to allow you to dress in complete privacy. The client will be taken to a recumbent bike and will pedal the bike for a period of 3 to 5 minutes.
The refreshing and energizing feeling from the endorphin and enkephalin releases can last up to 8 hours and most people experience a sound night’s sleep. In most cases, 5 regular treatments can increase athletic performance, alleviate chronic pain, injuries, and many medical conditions while promoting weight loss and beautiful skin. Ongoing maintenance sessions at a frequency of once a month will in most cases be enough to maintain the improvement.
Benefits of cryotherapy for health and wellness
The alleviation and treatment of:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
- Fibromyalgia/Chronic pain
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Depression and Mood disorders
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Phantom pains
- Muscle pain, inflammation and spasms
- Knee, ankle, and hip pain
- Improved post-surgical recovery
- Immune system stimulation
- Degenerative joint disease
- Tendonitis and Bursitis
- Plantar fasciitis
- Stress, Depression and anxiety
- Fatigue and insomnia
- Migraines and headaches
Sports and fitness
- Decreased muscle soreness, pain and inflammation
- Reduces Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)
- Increased energy and peak athletic performance
- Allows for immediate post-therapy sports activity
- Allows more intense and higher volume training
- Boosts lymphatic draining and blood circulation
- Improves muscle strength and joint function
- Overall faster return to sports training
- Decreases injury recovery time
- Improves immune system function
- Decreases fatigue
Beauty and anti-aging
- Cellulite usually eliminated
- Boosted metabolism promotes weight loss. The increased metabolic rates consume an extra 500 to 800 calories in 24 hours and a further 200 to 300 calories per day for approximately 5 days
- Skin conditions ameliorated — including psoriasis, blemishes, and acne
- Increased collagen production — skin appears tightened, skin tones are evened, and visible signs of aging are reduced
- Stronger and Fuller Hair & Nails
- Increased Libido
- Quicker Surgical Recovery
- Treatment of Psoriasis and Dermatitis
- Boosts Lymph Draining and Blood Circulation
- Activates Natural Biological Regeneration
For more information, Contact Us Today at Burlington, ON Center.